Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Kidney Stone

Kyle woke up Saturday morning with some back and groin pain and kept feeling like he had to go potty...even when he didn't have to. So I took a shower and got ready to take him to Urgent Care. Then the pain stopped and he felt better. So, I ran to the store and got him cranberry juice and made him drink, drink, drink. Then I went to get a pedicure and my nails done! :)

He was feeling better and then sunday night I was asleep on the couch and woke up with him kneeling on the couch next to me with his head on my stomach. I asked him what was wrong and he said his back was killing him. I asked him if he wanted some ibuprofen and he said he thought he needed to go to the hospital. So, I called my mom to come stay with the kids and we went to the ER.

He was in SOOOOOO much pain. We went to the closest hospital and he was so umcomfortable he couldn't sit still..he paced and sat down and got back up. I felt so bad for him. the ER was so crowded and one of the people there said she had been there 4 hours. I knew there was no way Kyle was going to be able to handle 4 hours at least of this pain. so I went out in the hall and called another hospital..they said their wait was about an hour. So we left.

It took 5 mins to get across town, amazing how fast you can get places at 1 am when there is no traffic!! I dropped him at the door and went to park the car. When I came in, they had already taken him back. Within 15 minutes he had an IV in and morphine. I was SOOO glad I called and took him there!

He got a CAT scan that revealed he had a 2mm kidney stone. The dr. said he thought he would have no problem passing it and it should pass in the next few hours. They sent him home with Vicodin and Phenergan. We stopped at a 24 hr. pharmacy to get his meds filled and were home by 4:30, in bed by 5. Needless to say, my kids were an hour late for school the next morning! LOL

We went to the urologist yesterday afternoon and he got meds to relax the ureter (?) and he goes back in for another CAT scan in a week. He spent most of the day drugged and in pain. We went to dinner with my family last night..he was pretty miserable..but it was free food..and we weren't about to miss that! LOL

At 10:52 last night he finally passed the stone. He was SO happy. The ER had given him a strainer and a cup to put the stone in when he passed it. So, he came in the bedroom and flipped on the light to wake me up, and said "I have a present for you". So, I sat up and looked at looks like a really small stone!! I am SO glad it's over with. He was so miserable..I would much rather be in pain than see him in pain. It was awful. I hope he never has another one.


Summer said...

I tried to comment yesterday but it didn't let me. What I wanted to say that my boyfriend had to pass a kidney stone. He was in alot of pain and he said "I think I am going to die". I felt sorry for him.